Monday, August 29, 2016

How To Propagate A Red Coleus Plant

I have a red coleus plant that I've propagated
 over and over again. I use them as fillers for
 my larger containers or in the landscaping.
They also make a nice houseplant and
 are low maintenance.  
To keep the plant healthy and full, I pinch
 back the new shoots or just cut them off 
and plant the cuttings elsewhere. 
If the soil is kept moist I can just stick
 them right into the container or garden.
 I've had good luck with that method,
 but if I want to be sure of a good 
plant for a container I'll propagate
 by letting them root in water first. 
Coleus is one of the easiest plants to 
propagate. The process is simple and 
straightforward, making it a good choice 
for your first attempt. The plant produces 
beautiful foliage in a variety of colors. 
All you need is: a healthy coleus plant,
a jar with water, and potting soil. 
Snip a cutting from an established plant 
that has two leaves and about 2 inches of
 stem. Pinch the top terminal new growth.
Partially fill a jar with water. Put the stem
 into the water, but do not let the water 
touch the leaves. Replenish or change the 
water as needed. A healthy root system 
emerges from the cutting in less than a week. 
Plant the cutting in a pot with potting soil, 
or right into your garden in suitable climates. 
Make sure to keep the soil  of the new
coleus evenly moist. 
I usually cut a bouquet of coleus and fill 
a Ball jar. It looks pretty on my table and 
when the roots sprout I can plant it
and start the process over again. 

I've used the method with basil HERE,
 clerodendrum vine and  HERE.

Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. Haven't rooted coleus or impatiens in years. I love your idea of a bouquet in a mason jar and then planting. Will be doing that next spring...you have beautiful gardens and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do that, too!! I actually haven't had any coleus in several years! Perhaps next spring.....

    ReplyDelete